SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comments from this week's BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Comments from this week's BVI Charter

I think mooring balls are great for charterers. I'm not sure I'd trust the delicate reefs to charterers (including me) who lack to local knowledge drop anchor in the right places. And even if you know enough to miss the reef, do you know what other areas will hold well? So for those of us who lack that knowledge, the mooring ball is worth the price.

I am very sympathetic to the locals like you, and have no problem with you anchoring since you have the local knowledge to do so safely. I know what you're saying about mooring failures. The pennant we grabbed in Sopers Hole had one of the three strands completely severed. But it was the only ball left, and we only stayed a couple hours, so we used it.

As for holding tanks, I was surprised that we were told to dump our tanks into the open waters, since we really weren't out past the 3 nm limit. I winced every time I did it, but had to in order to avoid a $150 fee from the charter company. I also noticed an awful, constant stench in the back corners of Wickhams Cay II (where the Footloose boats are kept). It was interesting that the high-end Moorings boats are kept as far away as possible from that stagnant area. I have heard about a similar stench around where Conch Charters is located. It made me wonder whether Road Town lets untreated sewage drain into the harbor. What do you know about this? Purely speculation on my part, but these tiny islands in the middle of the big ocean might not have much incentive to clean up their stuff. If true, it makes the dumping of holding tanks a drop in the bucket, so to speak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook