SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comments from this week's BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Comments from this week's BVI Charter

When briefing charter guests before departure, I strongly suggest that after they are connected to a mooring ball they put the engine in reverse and pull very hard on the mooring ball. Lastly it's wise to put on a mask to jump in for a quick look before deciding this is the place you want to trust for the night. Using this strategy I've pulled out three in the past 6 years with my little 31' mono powered by an anemic 15hp Yanmar!!!! I'm confident any cat or mono of typical charter size would have not been in the same place if the wind had picked up at all. That old phrase "trust but verify" is a good one to recall.

Considering waste... Another potential lengthy discussion.... It is my understanding there is not an entity like the EPA and if there is, it's standards for treatment and disposal of waste would not be comparable to those of which you are used to in the US. There is a lot of discussion on this subject on traveltalkonline dot com under the BVI section, just do a search. If you really want entertaining current environmental/political debate in the BVI, look into the proposed airport expansion which would mostly eliminate the Trellis Bay area you so enjoyed on your trip. Don't let me suggest that the USVI doesn't have plenty of our own problems, we do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook