SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Dave,
Quit describing my boat and just go out and buy one (or rather 2.5 with that budget).

Seriously, the Irwin 43 CC fits everything you have on that list - and my 38 CC does
except for the 55 HP engine (it's a 44), the wood trim topsides, and my 38 is 4k lighter.

And yes, I see the "no full keel" - define "full keel", mines a shoal draft long keel

BTW - the Mason 44 has a longer keel than the Irwin, and the rudder mounted to it, so just toss that out a 'no full keel'. It's also got more wood topsides.

My Irwin 38 CC with a PHRF of 126 (New England - PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps) is well within the top 50% of similar boats.

and compares well with your PHRF of 123 - in the same region.
Keep in mind PHRF is a factor of all points of sail

Besides, you know once your wife sees my aft cabin you are sunk, screwed and tattoo'd; you'll be getting a center cockpit
Ha...you are funny. I like the boat you are getting and would consider it in the next size up.

I guess this summer we will have to see if you new boat will keep up with our 35 old girl loaded with attachments. I am suspect to the Irwin speed and pointing ability, although I know they are not slow boats. No doubt the 38 Irwin has a great amount of room for its size below and some great advantages.

I like the Mason 44 living accomadations and the fact the engine is under the floor. It also is a rear cockpit which I kind of prefer, but am not married to it.

Its all a trade off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook