SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013

Ruby Vee is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
Agreed that standards of living are going down, BUt I can afford a way better life here in Panama and can scratch by with some work online.

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with inflated expectations for a higher than deserved standard of living, hence people who are almost thirty living with their parents, growing up in a zero failure world (which is not a good way to encourage hard work), and the expectation that the world owes them something (careers, high standards of living, education)

It really isn't a financial thing (I've been on both sides of the fence: student debt, long term unemployment, lacked a real job) and cruising, you have no money either way.

AMEX came out with a survey showing that young people spend tons of money on travel and luxury goods. It must be a mental thing. The ocean is pretty intimidating, not big snowboard jump intimidating, but kill you if it decides to intimidating. I'm guessing backpacking and all-inclusives are just easier to do.

I have to agree with the higher expectations or expectations for a higher-than-deserved standard of living. Kids move back in after college because they can't afford all the luxuries that Mom and Dad have -- and can't seem to go without, either. Even those kids with jobs don't want to live in a basic apartment with a roommate; they want to live with Dad's 60 inch flat screen TV and the hot and cold running snacks in the refrigerator while the money they earn goes toward designer clothes, shoes and bags and a nice car.

The zero failure world must have been a far more comfortable way to grow up than the way I did -- but it doesn't make for hard workers or cruisers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook