SailNet Community - View Single Post - Minimum extended cruising requirements.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Minimum extended cruising requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott&Rosie View Post
Hey Capt Aaron,

Your last senario would be our normal one. I have two girls, yes, you're ght about them...lol. Rosie has three older kids who might occasionally look to come out for a trip and then fly back. So on MOST long trips, it would be just the two of us, maybe a third hand. I have never sailed a CAT with the exception of a small one on fresh water. That would take me a bit out of my comfort zone. Never put one of those over in high weather...

Scott
Well, it took me years of denial before I realized all the advantages of the good sized cat's, their seaworthyness, their comfort, safety, ease of close quarter handling etc. But if they aint for you, they just aint. A 45 foot Westsail is very safe in big seas's, very forgiving, and roomy. I'm still waiting for a bombardment from the women on my comment, but before I'm attacked, I want them to ask them selves if they have a girlfriend from town who would need some slightly more creatuer comforts then they them self as live aboard salts have grown accustom to doing with out. I now some dudes from town with the same needs, hence the gadget boat. That's all I'm saying. Read "Sailing Promise" to get an idea of how well a little Prout can handle the big stuff before you close your mind to the Multihulls..