SailNet Community - View Single Post - Minimum extended cruising requirements.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Minimum extended cruising requirements.

Wow! For once, I may disagree with my friend Aaron.

Before you invest in that monstrous Cat, go pick up the phone and start calling for marinas to house her. You can reverse those number of time at anchor and at marinas. SO you know, we spend more time at anchor than anyone else we have cruised with, and we don't spend those numbers. I would say if you can hit 50-50, you are doing good. TO hit those numbers, you will have to have a watermaker or a large water reserve, you will need a solid way of refurbishing your power (large solar array and batts), and you will need a large holding tank (s). Now, you can make all this work on the large cat, but the costs of putting her in a marina until you do might shock you. Many marinas simply were not built to accomodate wide beam boats (especially in south florida where slips are at a premium). You will either havae to get slips much larger than your boat, be charged for a double slip, or be forced to get a side-tie (T-Head). THe Theads are often the first to go because the view and ability to get on/off are much better. Also, because most theads are twice the legth of most slips (they span them), the marinas love to charge you max money for that slip or not give it to you at all while they wait for the 80 foot Hatteras to come back.

Now, others can speak more to the availability in the carribean and Bahamas where I suspect you can and will anchor out more than not. But here in the US, especailly on the west coast of FL to the Keys, I speak the truth. I know this because we looked heavily into a Cat before realizing we didn't want the hassle of getting screwed by marinas.

For your intended purpose, I would get a two cabin, 40-50 foot, production sailing boat. If you get a third cabin boat, you are just going to make it your garage or work bench anyways and there are too many tradeoffs in doing many 3 cabin boats around 40 feet (45-50 can do a 3 cabin somewhat comfortable). I would tell the kids that when they come, paradise is never-ending outside, but down below its about 40 feet long. Inside we are all family, deal with it, and don't fart with the hatches closed or pump tampons down the head. Otherwise, your view of paradise will come from the local hotel. By the boat for how you know you are goin gto use it, not the off times of how you might use it. You dont even know for sure how much they will come. Jobs, life, airline travel, etc always have a way of screwing up intentions. so basically, get a production boat: the many hatches, generally faster speed, and open and comfortable living quarters will make this a super boat for your intended area. Which one you get is really based upon your budget and whether you and the wife like SNickers (Hunters), 3 musketeers (Benes), or the World's Finest Chocolate (Catalina).

Brian

PS Pretty much agree with most of the rest of Cpt. Aaron!! I do believe my friend has been on a boat with a woman!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-15-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook