SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Antenna
Thread: VHF Antenna
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz5w63 View Post
I got screwed by Baron USA via an Ebay purchase Baron sent me a 8 ft. powerboat antenna instead of the 3 ft. sailboat antenna I ordered. Ebay/Pay Pal did refund my purchase (no response whatsoever from Baron) but I don't think this 8 ft. deck mount Shakespeare will work as well as a 3db. whip antenna off the mast head. Nor do I think I have the room on the stern rail or aft deck of my Hunter 25 to mount it but could shuffle a few things. Should I just sell the sucker and buy a 3 ft whip for the mast head or try to use the 8 ft.??? Advice?
The real issue is the 8ft antenna's gain. They are normally 6db which means a tighter focus - which could be a problem when you are sailing, and heeled. The reason sailboats normally use 3db antennas is that they work well on a heeling boat.

So, yes, I think you should sell it and get a 3db one for the mast. So you now have an 8ft antenna, AND your money back, which will, presumably, pay for a 3db one and leave you some change? How does this equate to getting screwed?