SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Antenna
Thread: VHF Antenna
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 01-15-2013
Re: VHF Antenna

Originally Posted by jz5w63 View Post
I got screwed by Baron USA via an Ebay purchase Baron sent me a 8 ft. powerboat antenna instead of the 3 ft. sailboat antenna I ordered. Ebay/Pay Pal did refund my purchase (no response whatsoever from Baron) but I don't think this 8 ft. deck mount Shakespeare will work as well as a 3db. whip antenna off the mast head. Nor do I think I have the room on the stern rail or aft deck of my Hunter 25 to mount it but could shuffle a few things. Should I just sell the sucker and buy a 3 ft whip for the mast head or try to use the 8 ft.??? Advice?
The real issue is the 8ft antenna's gain. They are normally 6db which means a tighter focus - which could be a problem when you are sailing, and heeled. The reason sailboats normally use 3db antennas is that they work well on a heeling boat.

So, yes, I think you should sell it and get a 3db one for the mast. So you now have an 8ft antenna, AND your money back, which will, presumably, pay for a 3db one and leave you some change? How does this equate to getting screwed?

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome