SailNet Community - View Single Post - Famet Roller Furler for Cruising
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Famet Roller Furler for Cruising

I've got a Famet Reefurl roller furler on my Allied Mistress. I am questioning picking up what few spare parts are necessary to maintain this 20 year old furler or upgrading to a new design. The Famet still works perfect, has an internal halyard so no wraps, has no bearings to rust, rot or jam, and a heavy duty drum that is supposed to be able to take the loads generated by a reefed sail. The only draw back I currently see is that it is older technology. It was originally marketed as bulletproof. After about 2 days of searching I found the company owner who is still supplying parts for the systems so it is servicable.

Should I keep a system that still works fine and is reliable for cruising or should I upgrade to a newer, more high tech model? i.e. Profurl. What variables am I missing in this equation and what would be the real benifits of a newer model? All feedback much appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook