SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe rail cap
Thread: Toe rail cap
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Toe rail cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've seen boats with a nice brass or stainless cap on their toe rail beneath the life gate. It's a great idea. We removed the varnish from the toe rail last season and liked the look, not to mention the reduced maintenance.

However, the toe rail is stepped on and is getting dirty and even minorly worn. I can't think of a practical way of having a custom stainless cap made.

Any ideas of a method to protect it?
The brass stuff you've seen on older () boats is usually just flat-bar cut to length with the sharp edges filed off and a screw each end to hold it on. It's sold in hardware stores for stair-tread protection and comes in standard lengths you cut down with a hacksaw.

I'm sure you could do the same with stainless, but highly-polished stainless would show scratches more readily - from people stepping on it from the dock with bits of gravel in the soles of their shoes..

If you've bare timber, go with the brass. Unless polished up, it'll go green eventually but will protect your toe rail forever. ..it's also good for dock-line chafe protection:

(with apologies for the crummy photo - taken for other reasons)

Last edited by Classic30; 01-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook