SailNet Community - View Single Post - View PC navigation system on your Android device with no Internet
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: View PC navigation system on your Android device with no Internet

As for Android apps, I found that NutiCharts was a big battery drain. Even when I killed the app, it would keep re-launching a background process that would drain the battery. I uninstalled it.

For casual use, I like Marine Navigator. I tried the free Lite version and decided to buy the paid version. During my BVI charter last week, I used it on the dinghy at night to help find my boat at its mooring. I'd set a waypoint at the mooring before leaving to go ashore. For US users, it uses free RNC charts from NOAA, and I calibrated the highly accurate NGA raster charts for the BVI area, which I used with both Marine Navigator on the Android phone and on OpenCPN on the PC.

I have yet to find an Android or iOS app that accepts NMEA data from my AIS receiver. That will be a must before I move to a tablet based chart plotter. OpenCPN does this very nicely on my Netbook, but I've found nothing comparable for Android or iOS. Sorry, Marine Traffic does not count, because it is not navigation quality since it depends on an unreliable network of volunteer monitoring stations.

Plus, the MSI netbook has a very bright daylight viewable display, far brighter than any phone or tablet that I've seen. Fortunately, my protected river allows me to keep the cockpit very dry, so I have a RAM mount in the cockpit to hold the netbook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-15-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook