SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are we elitists?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Are we elitists?

As a new member myself I have always been made to feel welcome. Sailing occurs on many levels, from sport to lifestyle to profession. It only stands to reason that the heaviest of posters on this site tend to be the people who are most serious about sailing. There is some truth in the respondant's letter that the "liveaboard circumnavigators" tend to overshadow the casual sailors, but is this unexpected? They experience sailing on very different level than I do, so I expect their perspective to be different from mine. It is up to each of us to determine what is and is not applicable to our own goals and needs.

I think people forget that it is okay to disagree. It is also very easy to shift between humor and snark, but very difficult for a reader who does not know you to tell the difference. Is there some bit of elitism on here? Yes, there is. That is just a statement of my own opinion from my own perspective. But I came to sailing believing that everyone who sailed was Thurston Howell III. While there are some Thurstons about, the vast majority are much closer to Jimmy Buffett. We also have to realize that while Thurston may be irritating at times, Thurston types bring a perspective and experiences that are often very valuable. In our lives we deal with elitism and snobbery. Most people learn how to listen to what is said while ignoring how it is said, somewhere along the way.

SailNet is a tremendous resource for both information and entertainment for me. Any friction on this site pales in comparison to the sites for other activities I am involved with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook