SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are we elitists?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Are we elitists?

Welcome earthlings (thats my favorite greeting one of our posters has and I always wanted to say it)

Sailnet is comprised of many different types types of people so it is to be expected that many different personalities may show through the postings. For the most part I have seen nothing but respect for the new poster as well as for each other.

There are many different levels of experience on here and a treasure trove of information to me mined if the poster is willing to refine their questions and do research. SNers have the real world experience to go along with what you can read on the internet which can be inbvaluable to choosing products or getting started on boat projects. I marvel at the before and after pictures of many of the projects I have seen on here. I have followed expert advise ( I think) of some of the posters who have given time and selflessly
contributed their knowledge like Mainesails videos.

When I joined years ago ( before the exorcism) I looked at the posters with thousands of posts two ways...either they were bored or they had great knowledge and gave back. That hasnt changed as I have become them now. Sometimes I am grumpy, but most times I am giving. Thats real life isnt it?

I joined back then the get some of that knowledge as well as maybe make some sailing friends in my area which is the Chesapeake. Sailnet has been a great common meeting ground for many of us in the Chesapeake. Because of it I have personally met over 70 boaters I would not have ever known. We have get togethers informally during the year as well as meet on the water sometimes for raft ups. Brcause my wife and I have gotten so much out of this it is our pleasure to host one of the formal get togethers every year in June at our club. It is one way my wife and I feel we can give back, just be getting faces together. It is remarkable to see the faces and laughing as people meet each other for the first time or see old friends. Through the years as I look at the people who come I see no elitists....just a group of sailors from all walks of life with boats of all types and sizes.

We also have met some of the SNers on our trips up north to Long sland sound and New England. They have been nothing but helpful and generous and have given us recomendations on eveything from anchorages to restuarants to offfering to take us for provisions. Where else could that happen.

Where else couldyou experience sailors from the Pacific Northwest, Canada, Great Lakes, North east, Chesapeake and Mid Adlantic, and Florida. The we have our travelers. Like Sequitor ( I want to be like him someday) and Killerney Sailor ( laid up right now. get well soon buddy). Only on the internet can you get this experience.

Your SN experience is controlled by you. It is what you put into it. If you are passive and stand there, the others will look like they are ignoring you as this poster did I think. You have to jump in and engage. When you do, MOST of your experience will be pleasent I assure you. Like life though it wont be 100% so you can expect that.

Over all Sailnet has been good to me and I hope I have been able to contribute to making it better for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook