SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bose 151 Speakers... Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bose 151 Speakers... Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I have two pairs of them. One pair is dead.. These speakers are not sealed and the boxes are "ported". As such corrosion can get on the voice coil and corrode it. Older models used treated paper cones and the newer ones use plastic cones. As long as you're a "tin ear" you'll like them. If you want any sort of good sound quality there are better offerings.. They are quite efficient and easy to drive with a car stereo... For the price they are not a bad deal but outside they sound quite thin... We had a pair in the cabin and I ripped them out and replaced them last summer, for better sound quality..
So what's a "tin ear" and what do you suggest for better sound quality? I'm looking to install a sound system inside the cabin this year (will be easily heard outside in the cockpit). My plan was to install two 151's or something similar up high in the cabin and a pair of subwoffers cut in to the space under port and stbd settees. I saw the 151's installed in a trawler at a boat show last year and thought they looked and sounded pretty good.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook