SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Protected Rudder
No full keel
No volvo engine
Sailplan including either two head furlers or detachable forestay
V berth and at least a double aft berth
Safe U shaped galley
24000 lbs or more
Lead Keel
AC and genset ( or room for one)
Espar heater
Comfortable salon plan for 2- no curved settes
Foreward facing Nav station
Top and front facing refeer and freezer
2 propane lockers
Davits or avaialability to install them
55 or greater HP engine no more than 2500 hrs
Dual racor filtering
Good windlass
Solar Panels
720 ah elctrical dc
Good inverter and battery monitor- can be added
Good charplotter- can be added
hearty autopilot- can be added
Good engine acccess on all sides
40 gallon holding tank with Y valve and mascerator
At least 8 opening ports
At least 4 opening hatches
Wood not lalminate interior
Little wood trim topside
Sailing abiliity phrf abive 50% of similar boats to windward
Draft 6 ft
Mast height less than 63 feet

Thats a lot of specs....hahha I am picky thats what has taken me so long.

Dave, if we take out these little phrases: 2Sailplan including either two head furlers or detachable forestay...Sailing abiliity phrf above 50% of similar boats to windward", we could be talking about a motor boat.

I guess that basically in what regards cruising one of the main points is how much sailing versus motoring you are going to do and that is an important point since diesel is expensive and it will be more in the future. I guess this should be the starting point for someone that wants a sailboat for cruising and just not to live in it and I know it would not be your case.

Basically if you want to follow the trade winds almost any boat will do. If not and you want more flexibility your choice will be a lot narrow and the difference to boats that actually can sail with 6K winds will be huge in what regards sailing time versus motoring. I am not talking about speed, just sailing instead of motoring.

Another point I have doubts is this one: "24000 lbs or more" I guess it relates with stability and motion comfort but the weight, even if it counts for stability (and motion comfort) is not the only factor and you can have boats with substantial less weight with a better stability than one with that weight.

And finaly I am quite sure this is not a good idea: "I am not afraid of older boats if in good condition as good boats last 60 years at least."...sure this will not be important if you just live in the boat, sail it locally and with good weather but I think you want a bluewater boat and will sail it plenty offshore. Putting an old boat in a sailing condition of a 5 year old boat will coast you a lot and you will have a maintenance issues all the time, not meaning problems but always things to take care and substitute.

A car can also last more than 60 years, the reason you dump them is because their performance is outdated and because it would cost a fortune maintaining it in perfect working order.

About your long list nobody never gets exactly what he wants. The best is to make a priority list, some things will only be preferences other will be deal breakers...and regarding that, what performance you would want on your sailing boat, not regarding speed but regarding the ability to sail with light winds would be an important one because this will define the type of sailingboat.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook