SailNet Community - View Single Post - any one update to LED's
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: any one update to LED's

FWW, I changed my nav (red, green and stern) lights to LED not because of night sailing but rather because the fancy $15+ bulbs kept failing due to vibration. I used DrLed replacements, which are not ideal as they widen the viewing angles somewhat (i.e. red/green now overlap). One day I'll change the fixtures entirely, but at least I have working lights. As another poster wrote, I did not change the steaming light as it's physically a smaller/ more robust bulb, and only used when the engine is running anyway.

The LED anchor light was DEFINITELY worth it on the consumption front. My first attempt was an LED replacement bulb in the old fixture, but eventually several individual LEDs started failing and I changed the entire fixture for a purpose-designed LED light. Even wired it to the Aux output of my BlueSky MPPT solar charge controller programmed for dusk-to-dawn, so while cruising we don't touch the switch for weeks at a time.

For the interior lights I found some 6- and 9-LED discs with side pins which fit the original ceiling fixtures, and added a few LED reading lights (which unfortunately do generate some RF noise in their immediate vicinity). Very little incadescent left aboard.

I do like the idea of LED striplights in the cabinets... just what I needed, another project. ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook