SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are we elitists?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Are we elitists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...I wonder if there is any logic to eliminating the Intro forum? Encourage new members to jump in with both feet, the water is great!
After seeing this thread I went looking for this "Intro Forum" and could not even find it! I still don't know where it is.

Just out of curiosity I counted how many General Interest forums there are, and there are 46! And that's not including the Intro Forum and any other ones that are hidden somewhere. [EDIT: I just realized that I can go up another level and found the Intro Forum, along with another 50 or so other "non-General-Interest" forums, and dozens upon dozens of sub-forums within those. I'm beginning to think that we may have more forums than sailors!]

I think there would be a lot of logic to eliminating several dozen of these forums. I've thought for awhile that this message area is way too fragmented. There have been times that I have posted very relevant questions that I wanted quick answers to in the appropriate sub-forum, and got zero replies. Then I would post the same question in the General Discussion section, and get dozens of replies within a day.

Take a quick look at the number of people viewing the various forums, and you can immediately see that there are maybe 5 forums that are active enough to stand on their own. Post on any of the others, and it's like shouting in an empty auditorium. It could be argued that you now have evidence that you lost this new member (and perhaps others) because he posted into one of these under-utilized forums. As a newbie, he probably didn't know any better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook