SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Blue Jacket 40 (new racer/cruiser)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You mean the relatively low AVS? It was posted by another poster and taken from a Calder book (that I have too).

I remember having looked at a Catalina 42 stability curve, many years ago, and be confused with the low AVS (105º, a lot worse then the one from the 40) and the relatively high B/D but I guess that has to do with the keel design without bulb and a relatively low draft.

Comparatively a First 40.7 has a much bigger AVS (126º) and for the technical characteristics a First 40 would have probably one close but probably bigger than that.

You can see some AVS here and also an interesting but simplified explanation on stability. Just download the items on the left about stability:

RYA Technical department issues new yacht stability listings | News | News & Events | RYA

Regards

Paulo
I will have to check what data they used to calculate. THe data online and published by Catalina is INCORRECT. This is well known for those of us that have these boats and have been well documented in Mainsheet and the owners forums. The correct data is:

Draft MK2: 5'10-6 feet.

Displacement: Well over 19500, dry.

LWL: 38-38.5

If they pulled the Catalina literature and used their numbers, they are wrong. I got the pictures to prove it!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook