SailNet Community - View Single Post - New in Narragansett Bay
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: New in Narragansett Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Just a point I'd like to make, when sailing in waters with temps
as low as you will experience in early May, boat must have a life raft
and/or at least a serious dinghy on board or I'm a no go. Realize that this is a near coastal trip, but thats how I see it especially if
crew is aboard.
I fully agree with the liferaft, but feel that the dinghy is a false sense of security, if seas are over 2 ft. Liferaft companies go to great lengths to try to design them to resist capsize and they are only marginally effective.

Further, the time necessary to get the dink in the water is a concern, unless you are pulling it on a painter. If there is enough time to launch a dink, I bet there is enough time to stop the leak. I collect every single leak stop gimmick I find at boat shows! Hoping never to use them (though I actually have in non-emergency repairs). If there isn't time or the leak is too big, you would have to just cut the dinghy away from davits or a deck mount and hope it stays righted while you get aboard. Flip it and I don't think you'll never get it upright from the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook