SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repower from volvo engine?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Repower from volvo engine?

I agree with those who say keep it running for at least the first year, marine motors can run almost for ever in sailboats even with lots of motoring they really don't seem to ware out, in fact the ones that get used more seem to last longer, strange as it sounds. But I think you may need to look for a more affordable mechanic. They may think you want it to be "perfect" and that is admirable, but I think keeping it running reliable for the first year should be the concern now so you can evaluate it under use. Perhaps have a word with the mechanic stating that as your goal and they can re-prioritize the work. Think stabilizing a tooth for a few years rather then putting in implants right away.

If by the "tooth business" you mean you are a dentist, I can understand the not knowing where to get the parts fabricated, my father is a dentist (mid 80's and still working full time in sole proprietorship practice) and he would not be able to do anything mechanical at all! The other issue is that you do have to keep your hands clean as no one will let you put grimy hands in there mouth! This is an advantage of working on computers, keyboards don't care, and can't smell diesel. I have lived over 800 miles from my father for about 20 years and just went to another dentist for the first time, just gets too hard to get back home. I felt like I was cheating on my dad, as he has been my only dentist for 47 years!

Oh and by the way I did not see any one say this, congratulation on the purchase! I have looked at a lot of Beneteau's, and really was impressed with the Stark interior. A little modern for me, but they sure are beautiful! And I have never heard anyone complain about how they sail. Perhaps you can post pictures!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook