SailNet Community - View Single Post - Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013
delivery & race

castorp is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
...sounds like a really bad idea, out there this time of year. Nothing can justify such a trip. Especially on a schedule! Come skiing with the rest of us, at least you can dress for it...
I'm a dinghy frostbighter here on the Gulf of Maine so I guess already probably a little "crazy"... plus I like the cold, the wet, the hardship!
Besides, what have countless generations of mariners, relying on going down to sea for their livelihood and sustenance (including the de facto birth of the USCG in 1832 with a specific mandate from Treasury Secretary McLane to assist mariners in need during wintertime), done during the winter months? *****-out, stay home, and starve? What did the NYYC schooners Henrietta, Fleetwing, and Vesta do in 1866 for the first Transatlantic race (setting out from Sandy Hook for the Isle of Wight one cold December morning)? Complain that it was too cold to race? Not to mention Slocum, Shackleton (the James Caird!), et al...
As with any venture, planning, planning, and more planning is the key here I think, and then the constant bearing in mind that while one may love the sea, the sea does not love you!

apologies again for the drift!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook