SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grenadines v BVI
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013

pkurtz is on a distinguished road
Grenadines v BVI

We are trying to make a decision between Grenadines and BVI. We have chartered in the BVI four times before. I am looking for some straightforward advice on the conditions in the Grenadines both from a captain's perspective and a crew comfort perspective. Most of the crew (excluding captain and mate) will have little experience on boats. We will also have a child. I have read a lot of the posts and blogs and it appears that 20-25 kts winds are common and seas are rougher. Also many anchorages are rolly. I'm aware of the differences between the two as to services, things to do, etc. I've spoken with many charter cos and brokers and I get the "oh yeah, its great, just a little windier" with no real advice on the location considering what I've seen on the 'net.

The questions are: is there a best time to go the the Grenadines when the seas are at their calmest (I've been told that is summer and that Dec, Jan and Feb are the worst)? With an inexperienced crew am I just look at a uncomfortable trip for most (would it be better to do after we do the BVI with this crew)? From a captain's perspective, what is the experience level for the Grenadines?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook