SailNet Community - View Single Post - 24 or 27 ft Catamaran with cabin (afforable) exist?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Re: 24 or 27 ft Catamaran with cabin (afforable) exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytino View Post
Any insight, opinions, advice are appreciated!
Finding a multihull, with a cabin, for 5K can happen, though quite rare. If you do find one I would expect it would need a lot of upgrades and repairs $. Under 30 feet trimarans generally have more room. Read "Multihull Voyaging" by Thomas Firth Jones, it is a good primer for a mindset on multihulls. I also like "The Case for the Cruising Trimaran" by Jim Brown. Both are inexpensive when purchased used.

If you are into building Jones has plans for sale for plywood builds. I'd also look at several designs by Bernd Kohler, again if you are up for a build. I like both of these guys plans because their designs are not complex builds.

There is a designers list here Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - Waypoints

I think right now though, generally speaking, the market is so down that it could be cheaper to buy a worn out model and upgrade than to build; but being informed all the way around about your options will help you make the best choice for you.

Search for Telstar 26's and Telstar 8M's. These are the early model Telstar tris and can be found for around 10K, probably needing some work, with a trailer. Because they are trailerable you can drive across country and pick one up. Here is a review on one with photos:

Telstar 8M Review

Sorry you lost your boat, hope your residence is OK, good luck in your search

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook