SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

We took the plunge!

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Capt. Gary Randall 
#1 ·
Yep... with the help of kind folks on these forums we have bought our first sailboat. Pretty exciting stuff here. After about 8 months and literally hundreds of hours studying the various for sale web sites, calling local marinas, and accessing local network of new sailor friends in Charleston, we found our boat. She is a 1966 Hinterhoeller 28. You will not find a ton of info online but what you will see is pretty quality stuff. We are just third owners with original owners having her from build to 2000. Since 2000 she has been owned and extensively sailed by a marine surveyor. That should tell you everything you need to know about condition. He took very good care of her.The negative is that she has been on the hard since 2008. But the Atomic 4 has been exercised regularly and I have heard her run. Otherwise she comes very well equipped and after a good bit of TLC and a quick stop in the boatyard for a frozen rudder (Purchase price was adjusted for the rudder fix.) she will be splashed. I guesstimate that to be in a month. I have attached a photo of her on the hard and there are a few online and even some members here who have one.So anyway we are thrilled and wanted to say thank you to the many here who tolerated a newbie asking lots of questions. As we outfit her again things like new batteries, engine fluids/filters changed, fuel tank and lines cleaned, serious buffing/polishing, teak cleaning, new cushion covers, and basic interior cleaning will keep us busy and also back here frequently for answers and guidance from those much further down this road. But again thanks all!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.