SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heat Help
Thread: Heat Help
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Re: Heat Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeNooy View Post

On the space heater: oil? Ceramic? Infrared? Does it really matter?
I think it matters as they each have advantages and disadvantages. In the end it comes down to personal preference and how you want to use it.

The upper limit allowed for portable electric household space heaters is 1500 Watts. Most have this as their high setting and then one or two lower wattage settings as well as thermostatic control. I believe they all are now required to have a safety switch that turns them off if they are knocked over.

Space requirements:
The oil-filled units and the infrared tower units have a reasonably small footprint but are fairly tall, which unfortunately kept me from trying one for years. In the end I have found this design to be a good thing on the boat. My oil-filled has wheels and easily moves to the least obtrusive area in the limited sole space of a 32 foot boat's cabin. We have a relatively large head compartment where the unit can reside without obstructing access to the toilet when not in use (we don't have AC in the head). If I'm not cooking, I just roll it into the U of the small galley area and it can run without limiting travel fore and aft through the cabin.

Safety:
Although you have to be careful with all of them, I think the oil-filled units provide the least combustion risk to surrounding materials and virtually no combustion risk with flammable vapors.

Noise:
The Quartz and other fan-forced units are NOISY in the small confines of the cabin. The oil-filled units have no fan and are quiet.

Heating Characteristics:
The quartz and other fan forced units heat up a space very quickly, but I've found that once you reach that point, they are hard to regulate the temperature . . . they end up cycling on and off constantly and you end up too hot or too cold a good part of the time.

The oil-filled units heat up an area more slowly but are easier to regulate the temperature with once they have the area heated. They hold heat when either turned off manually or cycled off by the thermostat. I use one or two of my permanently installed cabin fans on low speed to circulate the heated air more evenly throughout the cabin. They are much quieter than the integral fan units on the quartz heaters.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook