SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone At Catalina Island, Dana Point?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Anyone At Catalina Island, Dana Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhydras View Post
I'm an islander. Have been for 11 years. It's not for everybody, the speed limit is 15 mph, but everyone under 60 walks. The shopping is limited-we only have a Vons-but the prices, except for gas-$6.85/gal-is about the same as the mainland and Amazon ships here just as fast as the mainland. The good points-Year around boating, we get storms but no hurricanes, three other islands with in 30 miles, three more within 50, mainland only 26 miles away. Year around diving, people come from all over the world to dive here. Year around fishing, bass in the winter, tuna in the spring and summer, marlin in the fall. Year around weather, we just had a cold snap it made it all the way down ton the 40's, right now it's sunny and in the 70's. Year around---well you get the idea. If you can get bored over here you should probably stay home with your Wii.

If you have any specific question let me know
No need for a wii, wouldnt know what to do with that. I just dont have the need to disconnect with the rest of the world. Ferry ride is $70. Most people I heard had special insurance in case they got sick as the medicial faciliities are not extensive. The insurance was for a helo lift to the mainland. Even pregnant woman have to go over to have their babies.

Well just pick one of the Smithsonians to go to instead. Or maybe well go to Chinatown or take in a movie. Find something cultural to enrich our minds or even take in a football/ basketball/ hockey game. Hang out a a concert or see the orchestra at the National Performance Ceneter for the Arts. In the spring visit one of the nice botanical gardens ( nothing grows on Catalina...its a desert environment). Sidewalks all roll up at 8 PM.

Big game fishing like marlin, tuna....only 60 miles away from us. Yes it is temperate here...we get to see the seasons change...see beautiful foliage in the fall. Spring flowers...we have Eagles ( I think Catalina has two in cages).

I loved my visit there. Dont get me wrong. We sailed over and stayed in Avalon and Two Harbors both. Was a nice place to visit. Id go back again to visit in a heartbeat. . It appeared to me that the only year residents were either the very wealthy- who visited but didnt live there year round , or those who worked serving the tourists in the hotels, restaurants and stores. Everyone lived on top of each other in ridiculously small apts and houses. It seemed that most of the island as I talked to the year round residnets was owned by a few wealthy landowners who locked everything up.

Everyone should visit Catalina in their lifetime, just like many other places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-19-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook