SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Wheres Jon?,,,he will probably let us know he was staring at his chartplotter, not look at a chart
Might not be all that far-fetched, actually... Anytime a boat is driven straight onto a reef that is AWASH, in the open ocean, in a region where the tidal range is not particularly extreme, it's a pretty safe bet that the watch or lookout might have been looking somewhere other than dead ahead, at the time...

It will be interesting to learn precisely how far "off" their charts had misplaced their reef... As smurphy mentions, many features in the more isolated regions of the Pacific are misplaced, often by as much as a mile or more...

However, Tubbataha Reef is hardly a "remote" atoll, being one of the most popular dive sites in the Phillipines, and frequented by numerous liveaboard charter dive boats, etc... I suspect they all have a pretty good idea where it is, you'd think the US Navy operating in that part of the world would have access to cartography at least as good as the locals are using...

I'm guessing that this supposed "inaccuracy" in the charts is being used, for the time being, as a temporary cover for the Navy's screw up... It would not surprise me at all if it turns out that the reef is, indeed, misplaced to some degree... However, I will be very surprised if that error turns out to nearly as significant as the berth that any prudent skipper, transiting those waters at night, should have been giving to an unlit reef, to begin with...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-20-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook