SailNet Community - View Single Post - Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13

First of all, I found a captain for my trip (not the Maine trip, but for my trip from Jacksonville to Beaufort). CAPCA was a great suggestion, thank you. All of the captains that I talked to (from sailnet and CAPCA) were very professional.

Funny that the boat for sale link, the OH Rodgers, actually is my boat - but that ad is from when I bought it a few years ago. Anyway, she is one of the shoal draft models (swing keel), quite possibly the last one left - I think only three were built. The winch in the cockpit is for the swing keel.

In reference to safety - without going into major details, I've been preparing for this trip for some time. The captain on board is for the experience and knowledge that I know I don't have. I've been going to sea my entire adult life - on warships. Since I'm doing this for the first time on a sailboat, I wanted to ensure that we're as safe as possible. We have an EPIRB, liferaft, and ditch bag (for the worst possible emergencies); we're also using jack lines, safety harnesses, and life jackets; and we're taking other precautions. I'm also taking a week-long BWSS course in February (ASA keelboat to bareboat captain) to improve my own knowledge beforehand. I know we'll always have detractors, but geez, we're going outside at a nice time of the year for three days and we're not beholden to a schedule. This is an important trip for us as a family, and believe me, as a family of mariners and aviators, we take safety seriously.

Thanks for all of the interest! I'll let you know how it goes.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook