SailNet Community - View Single Post - PLB vs EPIRB what and why?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013
Pacific Skipper

Rasputin is on a distinguished road
PLB vs EPIRB what and why?

Greetings,

Question - What are some thoughts on PLBs? vs. EPRIB. Looking at keeping it simple with a McMurdo FastFind or ACR 406 but I hear a lot of positives about the DeLorme inReach and marginal comments on the Spot. I'm not really all that thrilled with annual subscriptions but some of the DeLorme and Spot communication features sound neat. But are they really useful or necessary for familiar coastal cruising? I do have a Verizon Aircard and Droid which works fine just about everywhere I go. And then if the used price is right based on battery replacement costs, is used okay or go with new? And finally, does one skip PLBs and go big with an EPIRB? And why?

I'm a fair weather and fair seas guy with the family. Now that we have an 11 month year old daughter, I'm looking to not take chances, even on familiar water. (she's already been to Catalina 4 times!) With good crew, that's another story. Anyhow, it's time to step up and add a PLB or EPRIB to the list of safety gear.

Sailing out of San Pedro to our Catalina mooring, yacht club cruises and our personal runs to coastal spots from San Diego to Channel Islands and Ventura as well as the occasional run to Ensenada. No runs to Australia planned. ;-)

Huge thanks for your thoughts.

~Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Young Sun 50' Center Cockpit Cutter Sloop
Permanent Waves - Long Beach, CA. ~ USCG 673238
CBYC / LBYC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook