SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toronto International Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Toronto International Boat Show

Well went to the boat show yesterday. I wanted to go during the week to avoid the crowds, but my sister and her family wanted to come so we picked Sat. Turns out my sister cancelled, which pissed me off as now I had to face crowds I could have avoided. Still met another couple from the marina and had some fun looking around with them.
Looked at some of the sailboats, but the line-ups to get on where just not worth it. About all I can say is that I didn't like the open transom idea on some of the boats.
Spent a couple of hours looking at a kayak for the wife. Didn't end up getting one, and was bored to tears.
So what did we get? A couple of nice fleeces from the Henri-loyd both, $40.00 a piece and very nice fleeces. A couple of plastic covered aide- memoires from Nautical Minds, one on diesels and one on nautical calculations. a snatch block from Gearhuse.
We also ended up getting a steam cleaner for the house! How sad is that? You go to a boat show and your big purchase is a steam cleaner for the house!
Attended a lecture on Cruising the North Channel. The guy giving it had access to a microphone but didn't use it. My hearing is crappy and getting worse, so I didn't hear a thing. Bit of a waste of time for me.
Last thing I wanted to do was get an idea on how much an new 110% jib would cost me. All my sails are North Sails, so I went to their booth. Talked to a young guy there. he hummed and hawed and messed around. By that time (5:30 PM ) I was tired, my back was aching, and had very little patience left, So it was "yeah, yeah, bye-bye" Went to Doyle sails, and talked to an older guy. He didn't mess around. It was give me all the details and I'll E-mail you a price. Anyone know anything about Doyle sails?
Thought about going to the meet and greet, but between the crowds, and my back, my patience was long gone, so we headed home. Turns out there was construction on the Lakeshore, and it took us about an hour to get onto the Gardener Expressway. God I hate Downtown Toronto.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook