SailNet Community - View Single Post - lightning advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: lightning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
Lightning is unpredictable, but still follows the laws of physics. If you can provide a good straight low resistance path to ground there is a good chance this is where the pulse will go.
This prevents the most severe damage which can occur when the energy exits the hull via a metal fitting such a seacock or chainplate. In the former case the reasonable chance the boat will sink in the later that the mast will fall down.

Grounding is not a guarantee that this is where the energy will go, but with a well made ground system it there is a very good chance that is where all, or most of the energy will be diverted to.

Grounding is best defence you have. It significantly reduces damage, particularly the severe damage that can mean loss of the vessel and / or lives.

However it does not:
Significantly reduce the chance of a strike
Mean you will have no damage
Guarantee you won't suffer severe damage.
Quote:
This prevents the most severe damage which can occur when the energy exits the hull via a metal fitting such a seacock or chainplate. In the former case the reasonable chance the boat will sink in the later that the mast will fall down.
So what is your system on your boat other than a ground plate and an egine ground?

Quote:
Grounding is not a guarantee that this is where the energy will go, but with a well made ground system it there is a very good chance that is where all, or most of the energy will be diverted to.
This is saying nothing saying I am not sure where the energy will go, but if it there is a ground system there is a good chance where the energy will go but maybe n ot all of it. Not a scientific or even a reassuring statement

Quote:
Grounding is best defence you have. It significantly reduces damage, particularly the severe damage that can mean loss of the vessel and / or lives.
No its the only defense you have and the rest of the statement isnt true as you cant evebn gaurentee thats where the enrgy wil go. And where does this statement about loss of lives come from. Best way to prevent that is to be off the boat....not grounded.

Come on now, I can undertand the physics of lightening like most can. I can read the same experts. Coomon sense tells me it will search for the path of lerast resisitance or shortest path and thatits important to provide it with one or it will make one.

Common sense also tells me that people who try and make thousands of dollars off of this fear when they cannot prove or will not gaurentee their expensive products work are a sham.

These statements are a false sense of secutity when there is not gaurentees that your theory will work. It allows the snake oil salesman to create all sorts of diffusers and bonding/ grounding systems which cost thousands when there is no proof or gaurentee. Even the insurance companies see no value in this pr they wouild give people discounts. Its sheer speculation

The best you can do is ground evrything to a plate, give it a path...something which doesnt cost a lot of money and pray the lightning travels that path and doesnt seek an alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook