SailNet Community - View Single Post - lightning advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: lightning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ok I have read some of Blocks stuff and all seem related to antannnaes and ground communication stations etc, Maybe you could steer me to the specificdata and information on sailing vessels or boats in the water as I dfo nolt seem to be able to find this.

What kind of Robert Block methods have you emplyed on Tango to minimize lightening strike effects other than a simple grounding to a plate or the engine?

Would like to learn some other best practices as I have that on my boat already and that had NO effect.

Dave

Dave
for me, Block has good information on grounds, grounding and grounded items, as well as details about connections, especially mechanical ones, attachments and what measurements to expect to survive a hit, direct or otherwise. The concepts of very shallow bends in grounding conductors, size and materials of conductors and the theory that EVERYTHING must be at the same ground potential, ie 2.5 ohms or less to every item grounded appeals to me, he advocates against "old school" theories like concentric rings of grounds as they create loops and multiple paths.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook