SailNet Community - View Single Post - Around Cape Agulhas
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Around Cape Agulhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Good news. Since she's sailed most of the way around the world, I imagine she is a lot more competent than most.
She has sailed more than 30k miles offshore which does build experience. She is also a very competent, smart, and when needed, tough person having grown up in China during the Cultural Revolution and getting a doctorate in engineering physics.

I forgot one conclusion in my first posting (hey, I am on drugs) and that is that the cruising community is generally quite wonderful and supportive of one another. It is an odd, sort of floating (sorry) relationship since you get close to people and then schedules/routes diverge and you lose track, but then you bump into them again 4000 miles down the line. People say they want to learn a skill like refrigeration repair, or sewing to pay for their cruising but I don't think that would work well in the offshore cruising community where you just help others when and if you can.