SailNet Community - View Single Post - Around Cape Agulhas
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 01-20-2013
Faster
Just another Moderator

Re: Around Cape Agulhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

I forgot one conclusion in my first posting (hey, I am on drugs) and that is that the cruising community is generally quite wonderful and supportive of one another. ........People say they want to learn a skill like refrigeration repair, or sewing to pay for their cruising but I don't think that would work well in the offshore cruising community where you just help others when and if you can.
Just a comment on the above.. I think it's very true that cruisers DO help each other as they are able and when that help is required - it's usually given selflessly, without expectations of repayment but a frequent result is perhaps a beer, a bottle of wine, dinner or a reciprocal favour. I think that's true of the offshore and coastal cruising communities, at least in our experience.

It would be very difficult, esp given that pretty much anyone embarking on a circumnavigation is necessarily pretty damned self sufficient, for anyone to 'pay their way' in that fashion.

Very glad to hear the boat and crew are safe in harbour again!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome