SailNet Community - View Single Post - lightning advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: lightning advice

Some good info here. issue remains absence of fact as it relates to sailboats. However significantly more info and additional avenues to research posited since my last post. thank you. Orginal question was comparing simple ground plate from Ward's to groundng strip ( and other measures) from Marine Lightning.Still very interested in discussion of orginal question if possible.Tenor of discussion here would seem to favor simple solid ground plate. As said keel bolts not an option. Been told layered plates should be avoided as likely to explode as water turns to steam as plate heats. Devices to dissipate charge likely to be inadequate in this application. More likely to have some marginal effect in solute ( water) than air ( mast head). However again no empiric evidence of benefit to sailboats. Will tell builder to put in wire runs from shrouds to foot of mast/bilge area but not connect them until I get further concrete data or I am convinced it does not exist. Land is not a conducting solute of similar magnitude as seawater. Buildngs may have the high impedances a glass hull has but not the low impedance masts/rigging etc inbedded in them and sticking out of them. Transmitter and electrical towers are metal structures in their entirety. Physics must be different for particulars of sailboats. tx. again.