SailNet Community - View Single Post - Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Wanted - Short Delivery Apr 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslade8581 View Post
First of all, I found a captain for my trip (not the Maine trip, but for my trip from Jacksonville to Beaufort). CAPCA was a great suggestion, thank you. All of the captains that I talked to (from sailnet and CAPCA) were very professional.

Funny that the boat for sale link, the OH Rodgers, actually is my boat - but that ad is from when I bought it a few years ago. Anyway, she is one of the shoal draft models (swing keel), quite possibly the last one left - I think only three were built. The winch in the cockpit is for the swing keel.

In reference to safety - without going into major details, I've been preparing for this trip for some time. The captain on board is for the experience and knowledge that I know I don't have. I've been going to sea my entire adult life - on warships. Since I'm doing this for the first time on a sailboat, I wanted to ensure that we're as safe as possible. We have an EPIRB, liferaft, and ditch bag (for the worst possible emergencies); we're also using jack lines, safety harnesses, and life jackets; and we're taking other precautions. I'm also taking a week-long BWSS course in February (ASA keelboat to bareboat captain) to improve my own knowledge beforehand. I know we'll always have detractors, but geez, we're going outside at a nice time of the year for three days and we're not beholden to a schedule. This is an important trip for us as a family, and believe me, as a family of mariners and aviators, we take safety seriously.

Thanks for all of the interest! I'll let you know how it goes.

You are welcome about the CAPCA suggestion. CAPCA is an organization of professional mariners. They are quite reputable and they have a significant code of conduct. Enjoy your trip.