SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Barnegat Bay after Sandy

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jimgo 
#1 ·
I had a great couple of weeks sailing the upper Barnegat last summer, and I've been wondering how things are after Sandy. I drove by there a couple of days ago. Hinckley's Marina in Brick just by the Mantoloking Bridge, where I kept my Precision 185, still has some buildings not repaired, but their docks look intact. Beaton Boatyard likewise, appears in business.
I've read there may be submerged boats, parts of houses, and other detritus anywhere in the bay. New shoals from all the ocean sand washed in are likely.
Has anyone heard any concrete plans for dredging the Intracoastal? Mapping the bay for depth or obstructions? Any post-Sandy charts in the works?

#5 ·
I don't live far from Barnagat. (I usually sail out of Absecon and Brigantine) and I can see where finding and removing all the sunken boats and buildings from the bay is going to be a real time consuming job.

As it is, I almost worry about sailing behind brigantine this year. There are still wrecked boats all over the marshes between Atlantic City and the Mainland

#6 ·
Ottos,
I didn't look at Nelson's, but I was out in Ocean Gate on Saturday and visited Ocean Gate Yacht Basin and another on the south side of the Toms River. Those marinas looked to be in decent shape. I was out there several weeks ago, and Good Luck Point marina looked to have taken a little more damage, and the Good Luck Point area was hit pretty bad. I suspect, given it's location and the direction of the storm, Nelson's might have been a bit more protected than Good Luck Point, and was probably more like Ocean Gate. I know Dillon's Creek, which is just behind Nelson's, was fine and in fact I don't think any boats were damaged there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.