SailNet Community - View Single Post - lightning advice
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: lightning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Maine,

I am not saying not to have an effective way of grounding at all. I have it and had it and was still struck by lightning. I can still see the big flash inside my boat this summer when the bolt hit. This dispite a dynaplate grounding system and a burr dissapator on the mast head. I am no more afraid of a lightning strike now then I was before last summer, although I dont want to go through the experience again. They only way to prevent that is to stop sailing ( fat chance)

I respectfully disagree that you can prevent your boat from being struck or even direct the lightning without physical proof.

Do you have knowledge that having extensive lightening protection system on the boat other than basic grounding to the engine or a dynaplate is effective and will cause the lightening to follow that path andc minimize damage?

Most I have talked to including the most respected electric. electronics person here in Annapolis says you can waste thousands of dollars integrating this, but it is no gaurentee and there is not real data which indicates that the electricity from a strike, or side strike can be effecively DIRECTED to a SPECIFIC path.

He beleives in providing one or two ways of grounding as this may be one of paths the elctricity will follow and it would foolish not to at least provide a path and have things grounded.

He also beleives there is no proof that you can protect your boat from being struck other than to minimize where it is physically, nothing you can include on the boat which will act as a force field to shun the strike or to attract or not attract it.

If you have this knowledge share it so I and others can install it on or boats.

Surely if this works maybe we can convince the insurance companies to lower our policies, if we install these measures as we are less likely to have damage and if we do it will be less expensive to them.
Chef,

I removed that post 30 seconds after having made it as I saw the rest of the context..

I can assure you I would NEVER own a boat without primary/secondary lightning bonds. Our mast is done with 2/0 wire direct from mast step to a DRY keel bolt, made with terminal grease to prevent corrosion/high resistance.

The rest of the stuff is snake oil IMHO... I just finished two boats hit last summer. Both were newer boats with primary / secondary lightning bonding to ABYC standards. Neither had ANY hull damage, everything else was toast..

Our boats also had ZERO hull damage when hit but 25k in electrics...

You CAN NOT prevent a strike only try to guide it to ground as best you can. My only goal with lightning is to minimize hull damage as best I can....

A primary lightning bond is about $8.00 of wire for a keel stepped mast, maybe $30.00 for a deck step...

For an encapsulated keel this would be how I would do it...

Copper bar stock...Minimal drag, low cost, lots of edge surface...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook