View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: lightning advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Chef,

I removed that post 30 seconds after having made it as I saw the rest of the context..

I can assure you I would NEVER own a boat without primary/secondary lightning bonds. Our mast is done with 2/0 wire direct from mast step to a DRY keel bolt, made with terminal grease to prevent corrosion/high resistance.

The rest of the stuff is snake oil IMHO... I just finished two boats hit last summer. Both were newer boats with primary / secondary lightning bonding to ABYC standards. Neither had ANY hull damage, everything else was toast..

Our boats also had ZERO hull damage when hit but 25k in electrics...

You CAN NOT prevent a strike only try to guide it to ground as best you can. My only goal with lightning is to minimize hull damage as best I can....

A primary lightning bond is about $8.00 of wire for a keel stepped mast, maybe $30.00 for a deck step...

For an encapsulated keel this would be how I would do it...

Copper bar stock...Minimal drag, low cost, lots of edge surface...
Good,,,we agree

I am grounded from the mast show the same way to a keel boat with a large diameter ( either # or #1 wire) and I actually have a Newmar Ground shoe and its about 16-18". I noticed your plate was feet long. Is that suggested?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook