SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 for Blue Water?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013

Location: Depends on the season: on the boat; on land in NH or Turkey
dsleyland is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 42 for Blue Water?

I realize the original query about whether a Catalina 42 is adequate for blue water is nearly 10 years old, though I imagine the debate continues. I have owned hull number 615 a 42 Mk II for 5 years and lived on her for nearly two of those years. She is a wonderful boat. The boat is very well built contrary to what others on this string may think. I have pounded through 26 hrs of 8 to 12 waves (3 second period between them) off Long Island while a Swan 44 20 miles behind me was demisted and sank (Oct 2008). I recently crossed the north Atlantic with another 42 Mk II in the ARC Europe group. And about 200 nm west of the Azores took a knock down from a rogue wave. No damage to the rigging, though the dodger was smashed, the rub rail pulled loose and some cabinetry below deck loosened. That story is briefly recounted in Sail Sept 2012. A Solid boat.
What does she need ? -
more hand hold below deck, more fuel capacity (I carried 55 extra gallons on the sugar scoop stern and foredeck). The rudder post should be reinforced - that is the single weakness I can see with this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook