SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambone View Post
We cannot afford a house right now, but would like to spend around 100,000 on a comfortable sailboat to live on... Any advice?...
Yes, get married with a prenup or have a partnership agreement drawn up. If you are ready to live together on a small boat, you are ready to make a commitment. If not, you should rent a house together and buy a cheap boat, or only one owns the boat and the other pays rent, so the eventual break up will go smoothly.

I advise marriage. Marriage will likely improve your relationship and you in the process. If your girlfriend is about your age, she deserves clarity, too. Piss or get off the pot. The clock is ticking. If the two of you are not sure about each other and you have already known each other for a year or more, you should probably break up and look for someone more suitable. Life is short.

In fact, while I appreciate your wanderlust, you are already 26, so you might want to buy a house instead, concentrate on your career, and buy a boat with your savings when you are ready.

You can't be Peter Pan forever...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook