SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?

I'd double check the finances, considering that the boat will lose value over time. Unless you have a short (equals high payment) mortgage, what you owe will match what the boat is worth. You may not have any value when you sell the boat to get a down payment on a house.

Coupled with this is the timing. Your money doesn't come out of the boat until you sell it, which will get in the way when you find a house you love for a good price. The house seller isn't going to wait 3 to 9 months while you sell the boat.

Other than that, I love the idea.

People sense change the most. (A hand in warm water will start to not notice the temperature.) Start with a smaller boat and quickly move up to bigger. It will seem like quite a treat, and be a happy time.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook