SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerly section??
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerly section??

I think 1415? Should remember, danggit.

I have seen a big drop in listings for Westerly's. 10 years ago there would be a lot of them on the various sale sites. Now they are rare (for the westen hemisphere). Too bad.

I was looking for a Berwick, but then upped my eyes to a Solway. Center cockpit, twin keel, 36ft. Only found 2 this side of the pond, one in Grenada, one Trinidad. The latter was a mess and way overpriced. Saw the one in Grenada but it had been neglected and even if given to me would have cost more to put in shape than buying one in Europe in sailaway shape. Conways were available but moe draft than I was willing to drag around the Chessie.

Centaurs are great Chessie boats. Tough, roomie, shoal draft. Fabuouls for Gunkholing. I had the B layout. It is no mere coincidence that the author of Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholers Guide has a Westerly Berwick.

Btw, a fellow came through once who had a Pembroke - single keel version of Centaur. We sailed together and did not see any speed or pointing advantage to the single vs twin keels. Really, condition of sails, rig tuning and trim, bottom, and skipper skill are far more important.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook