SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory stuffing box leak
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Cape Dory stuffing box leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
Hey Celeb D you had something there, a wax toilet ring. My stuffing box drips more than I would like and a hall-out is still a year away. Im going to try your idea of stuffing some wax from the outside. Never thought of a wax seal, but I really think you are onto something here. Thanks for the tip, the out side the box kind of tip. (great)

Brad
Lancer 36
You are welcome for the idea Brad. I'm just passing it along as I did not think of it.
The best thing about the idea of using a wax on the outside to slow down water ingress at the cutless bearing (in an emergency) is that the wax WILL dissipate if the shaft spins for long. No harm, no foul and very low likely hood that the stuffing box will get over heated.
This idea may not work so well in warm tropical water as the wax will remain fairly soft nor is this idea very appealing when the water temps are very cold as who wants to go swimming in cold water?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook