SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilges - On vs. Automatic; Capacity?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
Re: Bilges - On vs. Automatic; Capacity?

David,
That is just my own rule developed based upon my novice experiences. Besides the incident related in my recent posts, there was another incident when I was sailing down from Rhode Island to Jersey. Stopped in Liberty Landing. December 2011. More **** happens in cold weather it seems. Anyway, she was docked in slip for the night. We were staying on the boat. Went up to a resturant for dinner and I really didn't see the need to worry about shutting most of the systems down. Before this I had not particularly worried about leaving the water pressure on if I left the boat for a short time. When I returned from dinner I heard that awful sound of water running on the boat and when I found the source it was a head sink pipe (many of my water pipes around galley and head sink are copper) that had just separated at a joint...obviously assisted by the system pressure, and water had already filled my sink cabinent before overflowing onto the head floor and into the bilge.
You can see where it just makes sense to me to pay attention to the water pressure status, especially in older boats because stuff breaks. No big deal...but real trouble usually comes when more than one system malfunctions at the same time. So now I turn off water pressure unless someone is below using the water, but when I'm sailing especially in heavy seas or motor sailing, it's hard to hear the warnings of bilge or other water problems. I imagine more experienced sailors figured out that rule long before I did!