SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large cockpit lazarette - how important?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Large cockpit lazarette - how important?

You are right to consider this factor although not sure I agree with your list of things to go in it. Most monohull cruisers keep their outboards on the stern rail. You don't want to put little things like oil and cleaners there. They will end up in the bottom of the locker and be a major PITA to get at. You will want to keep extra sails there like a spare jib, heavy air sails, light air sail.

What I am sailing is that storage matters. One of my concerns about many mass production boats is that the lack small storage spaces because these are expensive to build and people do not gush at boat shows about all of the heat little shelves, nor want to pay an extra $7000 (guess) for them. Our Bristol has a stick built interior with more than 100 small storage spaces and we use them all. What we lack, like many center cockpit boats, is a large lazarrete. We use the shower room for storing big stuff.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook