SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are your other passions?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your other passions?

Interesting thread.

Don't they change with time? Some remain constant and some are age related. My kids belong to the latter group. 7 adults with families of their own. Big priorities with boundless passion. Time consuming, too That is the reward! I count travel as an important passion. The kids enable that.

Sailing has been with me since my first sailboat at age ? 8 or 9 when I got my hands on a wooden pram. Water based activities are certainly dominant. Fishing, Canoeing, SCUBA, swimming, I grew up on the water and it has kept me living close my whole life. Canoe racing became a passion in the 80s and lingers. The Admiral bought us a graphite "pro boat" for her 60th. A JD II. It is a beautiful double ender. and joins a stable of 7!

Hunting went by the way. Not sure why. Racing motorcycles did too and I know why! Hiking is still important. With the AT near we spend weeks camping in the woods every year. Skiing, both down hill and X-C. Cycling, gardening, designing and building stuff. Writing is coming back now that retirement is here. I don't own a car built in the 21st century. Working on them is almost as much fun as working on the boats.

I am getting ready to build another house. Designing it and planning the work takes real passion. This will be the last project like this for me. We plan to rent it for the "crazy months" on Mount Desert Island and spend that time doing the other stuff.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook