SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large cockpit lazarette - how important?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Large cockpit lazarette - how important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
You are right to consider this factor although not sure I agree with your list of things to go in it. Most monohull cruisers keep their outboards on the stern rail. You don't want to put little things like oil and cleaners there. They will end up in the bottom of the locker and be a major PITA to get at. You will want to keep extra sails there like a spare jib, heavy air sails, light air sail.

What I am sailing is that storage matters. One of my concerns about many mass production boats is that the lack small storage spaces because these are expensive to build and people do not gush at boat shows about all of the heat little shelves, nor want to pay an extra $7000 (guess) for them. Our Bristol has a stick built interior with more than 100 small storage spaces and we use them all. What we lack, like many center cockpit boats, is a large lazarrete. We use the shower room for storing big stuff.
I agree about the nice large lazzaettes and lockers. Rember any fuids spilling will probably go right into the bilge also. We use lots of sip lock bags on our boat.

Also be careful about storing gasoline or a generator with it in a closed lazerette where the fumes could build up sink and not be vented.

Dinghy Engines are better on the back rail IMHO and gerators ( unless run dry) and gas do not belong below

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook