SailNet Community - View Single Post - Large cockpit lazarette - how important?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Large cockpit lazarette - how important?

I am more or less in agreement with most of those above.

First, you will never have enough space on the boat. There are some things which work better in the lazarette, others that you will want down below. Most people secure their tender on the decks (or davits but that is another story), and as Chef mentioned, put their outboards on a mount. I am not sold on having a huge lazarette for extra sails unless you are doing some very long distance cruising (like Killarney Sailor). I know everyone will disagree with me, but that kinda seems a bit old school when most of us just carry a jib on RF and a Main with three reef points. Some will carry a try or Storm Jib, but I wonder in reality how often circumnavigators have used them? Most of the ones I have talked to say those sails never saw the light of day. I know that if it is blowing hard, we don't leave port. Why would you? Now when three weeks into the trip, you get what you get, but again, I think that is another discussion and use.

What we use our lazarette for is a diesel generator (fixed mounted), air conditioner, and compressor for fridge. The stuff we put in are life jackets, various safety gear, we carry diesel cans in there (have a great, secured spot for them with absorption mats under them), most of our maintenance stuff (oil, filters, and other chemicals that do not react with each other while our ammonia or bleach is in separate areas, for example), fishing tackle (takes up a good bit of room), extra canvas, dock electrical cords and water hose. Though you may or may not carry all of this stuff, you will quickly realize that much of it you will have to carry. As such, a good sized lazarette becomes critical. Believe me, you don't want to stick your old fishing nets and fishing gear down below if you want to stay married very long (or be able to breathe)!!

On the other hand, a large lazarette takes away from the critical areas inside. There are no free rides. You will find the space inside the boat is just as much of a premium. Just like you don't want your diesel cans sitting in your quarter berth, you don't want you paper towels or toilet paper sitting in your lazarette!

Deciding how much of a lazarette you need really comes down to how much inside space you need. Put together a realistic space budget of what you are going to take cruising. Talk to other CRUISERS (not weekenders or vacationers) at the dock and see what they have in their lazarettes and how much room they take up. You will soon become amazed at what might seem a very large amount of space that quickly becomes stuffed with things that you forgot you needed to find a place for.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-22-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook