SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

Here is ours but it is a little over 2 years old. Not especially current. I will also answer your questions.

Tim & Kathy on Carina Live Aboard Blog

Why did you decide to try living aboard? Why now?
- We decided to retire early and see the world. Moving aboard was jst the first step towards prepping the boat
What's your long-term goal for living aboard? (as in, are you planning to cruise somewhere? just hang out in a marina and save money for a year or two? something else? and how long do you think you'll live aboard?)
- Saving money to go cruising. Hoping to get in 4-5 years before returning.
How long have you been planning or preparing to move aboard? What's your target move-aboard date if you're still in the process; or when did you move aboard if you're already there?
- Moved about 10/2010. Planned for about 10 months. mostly boat shopping and selling our previous boat.
Who have you told about this dream? And what kind of response have you gotten?
- My wifes family thinks I brainwashed her. It was actually her idea. 99% of our friends know and support us.
What has been your biggest challenge so far?
- Hard to say. I would say prepping for storms.
What are you most looking forward to?
- Simplifying our lives and getting rid of a lot of material junk possessions.
What was your biggest fear about what you were getting into? What actually happened? Was it as bad as you feared?
- We very always very optimistic. Dont remember any huge fears.
What kind of land ties do you expect to retain?
- All of them until we throw off the lines
Has it changed you? Do you feel different from your land-based friends?
- Not really. We are still the same people. We have always been adventurous.
Anything else you want to share that I haven't asked?
(and of course, "the basics" - something about the boat if you have one yet, where you are, a vague description of your age, like thirty-something or late 50s, etc)
- It is a lot easier than most people realize. Although we did it when we had the financial resources. Many do it looking for a cheap way to live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook