SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 01-22-2013
Tim R.

Re: Looking for blog posts by/about new liveaboards, or those about to move aboard

Here is ours but it is a little over 2 years old. Not especially current. I will also answer your questions.

Tim & Kathy on Carina Live Aboard Blog

Why did you decide to try living aboard? Why now?
- We decided to retire early and see the world. Moving aboard was jst the first step towards prepping the boat
What's your long-term goal for living aboard? (as in, are you planning to cruise somewhere? just hang out in a marina and save money for a year or two? something else? and how long do you think you'll live aboard?)
- Saving money to go cruising. Hoping to get in 4-5 years before returning.
How long have you been planning or preparing to move aboard? What's your target move-aboard date if you're still in the process; or when did you move aboard if you're already there?
- Moved about 10/2010. Planned for about 10 months. mostly boat shopping and selling our previous boat.
Who have you told about this dream? And what kind of response have you gotten?
- My wifes family thinks I brainwashed her. It was actually her idea. 99% of our friends know and support us.
What has been your biggest challenge so far?
- Hard to say. I would say prepping for storms.
What are you most looking forward to?
- Simplifying our lives and getting rid of a lot of material junk possessions.
What was your biggest fear about what you were getting into? What actually happened? Was it as bad as you feared?
- We very always very optimistic. Dont remember any huge fears.
What kind of land ties do you expect to retain?
- All of them until we throw off the lines
Has it changed you? Do you feel different from your land-based friends?
- Not really. We are still the same people. We have always been adventurous.
Anything else you want to share that I haven't asked?
(and of course, "the basics" - something about the boat if you have one yet, where you are, a vague description of your age, like thirty-something or late 50s, etc)
- It is a lot easier than most people realize. Although we did it when we had the financial resources. Many do it looking for a cheap way to live.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome