SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Brian, you might be surprised how easy it is to bake fresh bread. If you don't want so much heat from the oven try using a cast iron skillet and making corn bread. I'ts so easy even I can do it and there is nothing in the world as luxurious as fresh bread. As far as the paper towels go its hopeless. We try and try, we have a 99% green boat but paper towels are our downfall.

When it comes to provisioning dog food is our money pit, we spend almost the same amount on Chloe as we do on our self's. Once we cross the border we will start sharing our food with her and cutting down on kibble but she is older and her food has all the vitamins and minerals a doggy could want. Storage for dog food is another issue, we buy a 6 month supply at a time and it definitely cuts into our booze storage.
We ended up making Fatty's food (until recently, explained later). We used rice and chicken, both of which are readily available. For vitamins, we introduced Dinovite and a calcium/mg supplement. However, the vet recently told us the calcium supplement was probably not needed. You can also supplement with boiled eggs with the chicken (and put the egg shells in too... the dogs digest it for calcium). However, fatty didn't tolerate he egg shells as much as other dogs. If you want the recipe or link, I can send it. If you buy your foods in bulk, you will probably come out cheaper and it is a healthier meal.

We ended up having to go to a prescription diet now because Fatty has developed an allergy to rice and similar products. Now she eats duck and potatoes (while we scavenge for bologna)!! Hard life she has!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook